LifeWay VBS LifeWay.com Homepage LifeWay.com - Life LifWay.com - Ministry LifeWay.com - Family LifeWay.com - Shop LifeWay.com - Events LifeWay.com - International LifeWay.com - Conference Centers LifeWay.com - About LifeWay LifeWay Vacation Bible School Homepage
LifeWay Christian Resources    LifeWay Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Your VBS Headquarters  Hop To Forums  VBS Directors    what to do with curriculum afterwards

Moderators: Bethany W., speck268
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what to do with curriculum afterwards
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a place to recycle our books? Someone mentioned to me that one time they sent all the games and teaching books to missionaries to use. Does lifeway collect any of this back to give to churces to use next summer? or do we just throw everything away?

Posts: 44 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SCYOUTHCSI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KIRSTINE41:
Is there a place to recycle our books? Someone mentioned to me that one time they sent all the games and teaching books to missionaries to use. Does lifeway collect any of this back to give to churces to use next summer? or do we just throw everything away?

I'm not sure about lifeway collecting things, but you could check around locally and see if there is a bible study group that might be interested in the things you have. There also might be others on the mssge boards that could use what u have. My other suggestion is to pack up the things you have and store them until next year. I'm sure that there will be other's that need what you have. I hope your VBS went well. I am a second year director and We will have ours July 30- Aug 3. I'm sooooo Excited!! God Bless!

Posts: 18 | Location: SC | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a first-year director and messed up and ordered the VBX materials, not quite understanding how things are "graded". I ended up sharing those materials with a group from our church who are headed to South Africa next week for a mission trip. Meanwhile, I'm going to check with our local association and see if any of our sister churches in the area need extra materials. I have postcards, bulleting board borders, certificates, thank you coach cards... LOL. If I can share, I certainly will. It would be great to find out though if Lifeway does recycle their materials to missionaries and all. Would be way cool to know.

Posts: 8 | Location: Springfield, OR | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bethany W.
posted Hide Post
Sorry - we don't collect old materials to recycle. It's not because we don't want to...we just don't have the capactity and the space to do that. We do encourage churches to pass on their materials to other churches and mission organizations who can re-use them. Check out the Swap Shop forum...it's a great way to trade or get of rid of your extra/old materials!

Posts: 608 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: October 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information! I'll go hunt down the Swap Shop forum now. Smile

Posts: 8 | Location: Springfield, OR | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We donate our literature & Worship rally decorations to a smaller church/churches, since they sometimes have tight budgets.

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beckysue
posted Hide Post
We have given our material to a church in Ohio for the past several years. We make sure we have at least one thing form each age group to send tthem along with all the extras we can find. We have even been able to send some craft kits/materials to them. They then do the VBS the following summer. (this year they are doing Game Day Central.) One our VBS workers dad is the pastor of the church and has told us they would not be able to do VBS without out help. We also have church from our association come after the week is over and take decorations and extra materials. We set up a central spot for folks to come to after VBS to pick up what they need. We do make sure we have a keep pile too. We are using some things we have saved over the past few years again this year.

Posts: 412 | Location: Cookeville, Tennessee USA | Registered: September 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't throw anything away! I don't know about the areas that you live in, but in our area down here at the beach, many of the churches use the same materials. So many of the VBS are scheduled at different times, it makes it easy to pass along the materials and decorations. Just call your local churches and find out what is needed! Several years ago, a group from our church went to France on a mission trip. They took along the VBS material and did a VBS there! God uses us in so many different ways and there is always someone who needs this material. We have also "recycled" and used VBS stuff for Children's Church and Sunday School.

Posts: 35 | Location: Shallotte, NC | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a first time director but I have been a teacher for two years. We contact the smaller churches in the community who may not have the money to do VBS. We always find ways to share the items. We take down everything from posters, hand outs, papers, CDs etc... The churches are very thankful for anything we donate.

Posts: 2 | Location: Lexington NC | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We find a Mission church or a new church plant, they us this material the next year.

Posts: 5 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My church would gladly take any materials that you wouldl ike to recycle! Please conatct me at sidnblondie@verizon.net
Thank you!
Cheryl

Posts: 7 | Registered: February 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We reuse ours for Children's Church or our annual Children's Campout. Last year we did Game Day Central for VBS. This year it will be used for the annual Campout. The children love it and so do the adults.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a ministry that collects all types of Christian material and then ships it all over the world. This is especially helpful for missionaries in countries where it is difficult to get material. The name is Edwin L. Hodges Ministries. The website is: http://www.elhm.org/. They are located in Decatur, Alabama. Material can be mailed (can cost a bit) or someone traveling to that area may be willing to take material with them and drop it off. Some people volunteer to be a transporter to take material from many churches in their area. Their website explains it all.

Posts: 31 | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VBSFBCNR
posted Hide Post
We have a wonderful place that all church not just VBS curriculums may go. It is called CRI who reaches out to other countries. It is a wonderful mission program!

Posts: 3 | Location: New Roads | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a first time director and our church will gladly take any materials you would like to recycle. We are having our VBS (Outrigger Island) in July for this reason. We are a small church with limited resorces so any help would be appreciated. You may reach me at:
laurimiller@cableone.net
Thanks and God Bless

Posts: 1 | Location: Ada, OK | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post