LifeWay Christian Resources    LifeWay Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Women  Hop To Forums  Life    When Godly People question

Moderators: GRACE62, hiahcent
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When Godly People question
 Login/Join

Picture of sandrakayehooks
posted
Help, I know this is not the forum for "When Godly Px" but I am leading that study at my church. I am having trouble understanding a question asked in week 4. On page 81 of the member book- what is the difference between a godly relationship and a spiritual relationship? We're to discuss this question during the group session this Thursday (10/30). I would appreciate any insight or illustrations. Thanks, SK Wade

Posts: 9 | Location: Waycross, GA, USA | Registered: August 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today is my last video session of this study, so I went back to see what my reply was. Don't know what is really right, but in my mind, God wants our close relationships to put Him first...godly relationships. This would mean sharing beliefs and knowing he takes priority. In spiritual relationships we let someone or something else take priority. We share ourselves,but God may not always be #1 making that relationship come before him or excluding Him. Does this make any sense at all. This is such a powerful study. Would love to see more responses to this issue.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hiahcent
posted Hide Post
We had quite a discussion on this question during our study:
Godly relationships are those where God is at the center.
Spiritual relationships are those that make us "feel" deeply...but are all about us.
Godly relationships edify and glorify Him. Spiritual relationships do not necessarily do so.

It comes down to the difference between "Godly" and "Spiritual". In our world today, spiritual is defined as getting into your inner self. When 2 people have a spiritual relationship it is when they understand themselves and accept the other. God is not necessarily a part of that equation. A lot of times "spiritual" things sound good to us as Christians. But we must look deeper, are these spiritual things really about God or are they about us?
As times marches on, we will face counterfeits more and more. To recognize the counterfeit, we have to know The True.

Posts: 786 | Location: Bossier City, LA, USA | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WeeFishie
posted Hide Post
Hiahcent's reply is really good. Another thing about the difference between a godly and a spiritual relationship is that a godly relationship has godly boundaries designed to guard the heart. A spiritual relationship typically values connection in ways that are detrimental to maintaining godly boundaries. They bring a false intimacy which often leads to idolatry. There might be lots of "God-talk" involved, but without God-focus and God-obedience, it's just talk, and it leads to trouble.

--Lisa <><

Posts: 124 | Location: FL panhandle | Registered: May 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sandrakayehooks
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank you, thank you for the replies. They have been helpful. I am curious to see what my ladies will say. I'll have to update after Thursday. SK

Posts: 9 | Location: Waycross, GA, USA | Registered: August 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KarenJW
posted Hide Post
Thank you for asking the quesiton Sandra, I also had the same question and all the posts were extremely helpful. Smile

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post